Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Can training really change people?

It can't, if they don't want to change. In fact, nothing can, in that situation. So when my training day starts with these participant statements
  • When do we close?
  • What is this programme about?
  • I just got nominated.
  • How can 1-day's effort change 25 years of me?

I sigh deeply and mark the day as a wasted one in my life. I think of my family, friends and bank balance to cheer myself up. For the organisation it as a waste too - resentful participants multiplied by their per-day-salary plus wasted effort by the training function plus facitator fee and the huge cost of increased cynicism.

But look at the other side.

For those who want to change, training can do a lot.

The mere act of taking time out and focussing on a skill with an uncluttered mind can make a difference. A structured curriculum, a supportive instructor, theories, practise and feedback accelerate learning. There is no pressure to perform. Training is a safe place to make mistakes and learn from them.

One of the key to training success therefore : create a readiness for training.

No comments:

Post a Comment