Wednesday, April 28, 2010

A story of personal empowerment

As I did the second day of assertiveness training in an organisation, I saw one girl visibly agitated in the class. She was frowning as she listened with concentration. Why was she looking so defiant? I did not have to struggle to find that out. She cornered me at lunch time, dragged me back to the classroom and burst out, “You said it was OK to say no! My in-laws- to-be wanted to stay in my house for a month before the wedding. I said no and now my fiancĂ© is very upset.”
Taken aback for a minute, I asked, “Would you rather have said yes?”
“No. I can’t handle this right now.”
“Well saying no is OK, if you are willing to live with the consequences of that decision. Are you OK with your fiancĂ© being upset?”
The discussion went on and it took just a few minutes more for her to say, “It is good thing this happened. I have realised the kind of demands they can make and they have realised that I can say No.”
She had gathered her composure back and enough mental strength to face her fiance’s moods.
Good for her! And Hurray to training that can help people feel empowered.

No comments:

Post a Comment