Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The power of a group

Yesterday, in a group coaching session, one of my clients contract was “I have been choosing roles I enjoy and avoiding roles and people that I do not enjoy. I don’t seem to be motivated by “growth”. I am very content and relaxed now but people around me feel I am losing out. I would like to think through whether what I am doing is OK.” We went through a very interesting conversation on returns and risks of possible choices, impact on self and others, short term and long term impacts. At the end, he concluded that he was fine being himself. However, the group was not very fine with it. They shared with him that he “should” grow. They felt that he was avoiding pain and running away from challenges. There ensued a very involved debate on the definition of growth and whether everyone was motivated by growth. What was magical was the transformation of the group – from an immediate rejection of the notion to an admiration towards the client for choosing to be himself despite all the pressures. They also recognised that far from being a difficult co worker, this kind of clarity would allow the organisation to carve a role for him around his strengths. It is actually good for an organisation if some people are content doing what they are doing and do not aspire for anything bigger or larger. In listening to the coaching session and learning to accept him with his beliefs, they experienced growth. That is the power of a group!

No comments:

Post a Comment