Monday, December 26, 2011

The roles of a peer coach

An extract from Marshall Goldsmith's article on peer coaching.

“ Each coach plays three basic roles for the other. From the peer coach’s point of view:
• I’m your thinking partner
• I’m here as objective support
• I’m here to help you be accountable

Thinking Partner:

It’s always easier to see someone more objectively than yourself. Even if I’m struggling to improve in the same developmental areas as you, I am much more capable of identifying a solution for you than I am for myself. It is difficult to know what to do when we find ourselves in the heat of a developmental opportunity.
Having someone I can turn to for direction when I’m lost in my old patterns is
enormously helpful, especially when this person is someone who knows me and, and is
someone I can trust enough to reveal my blind spots and vulnerabilities.

Objective Support:

My stakeholders know my old patterns well because they’ve lived and worked with them
over time. You as my peer coach come from a fresh point of view. You can see beyond
our history, and you can see many more possibilities and strategies that are way outside the box of my habitual work experience.

Accountability:

I know you’re going to ask me how I’m doing with the goals I set last week. You’re the one I entrusted with my list of what I really want to accomplish, and what I’ve committed to myself I’ll actually do. I’m counting on you to remember to ask me."

No comments:

Post a Comment